Monday 9 November 2009

The job...

Dear friends… sorry it’s been a while, but now that I’ve actually started work I don’t seem to have quite the time I used to. Despite this, it’s good to be working again (not a phrase that trips easily of my tongue) although it’s not quite what I expected I’d be doing when I left the UK.
Not that I’m complaining because it is entirely my own fault. I’d been waiting so long for a job description from the division that I thought if I put together a proposal myself, it would be quicker, simpler and more importantly, closer to my own liking. Amazingly they agreed and so what I’m doing is as follows (abridged for the non-teachers of course);

‘Produce, for teachers, a short, easy to understand booklet, on the essential features and characteristics of child-centred teaching. It should explain how child-centred methods can improve their learning out-comes and how it can make both their planning and teaching more effective.’

‘The Ghanaian curriculum has a section which makes suggestions on how the teacher could deliver each learning objective and its content. My role is to provide examples and strategies (for English, Maths and Science) which better reflect a child-centred approach, incorporate ‘Assessment for Learning’ and ‘Inclusion’ practices and still ensure the objectives are achieved.’

No problem !!! this must be on the Internet somewhere. And with the speed of the Broadband I have here, will probably take me the whole two years to find it, making the timing perfect also. Those of you who think that I’m finally going to do some proper work, don’t be fooled, just remember who wrote it, and after all… TIA ;-)
Fortunately my proposal allows me to ‘see as much classroom practice as possible, all across the country’… so that not only means being out of the office, but involves travelling to see as much of the country as I can under the guise of work of course. So my first stop will be the Waterfall and Game Reserve Primary School in the Ashanti Region. Finally I’ll be ‘working with Teacher Training Colleges to help disseminate the information and practices outlined’, so hopefully this will involve some teacher training also.
Anyway, anyone out there who could help me with this gargantuan undertaking please send me any links, information or advice you have, they will all be very gratefully received. All this, and thirty degrees in the shade, is that not proper work?

No comments:

Post a Comment