Thursday 3 December 2009

A street tro named desire...

I warn you now, this was not a dream, All this really did happen to me on my way to work this week on a tro tro name ’Emmanuel’s Desire’. I had just boarded the tro tro for the 30 minute ride to the office. As I settled into my seat and made myself comfortable a really attractive girl, dressed in a yellow and black dress climbed on board the bus and took the seat beside me. The journey began and as I sat texting, the girl, completely out of the blue, reached out and took my hand. Somewhat taken aback I glanced down, to see my hand in hers, then up to her face. And she was gorgeous. Although quite petite, she had a pure, natural, almost innocent beauty, with a rich, golden-brown complexion, deep, deep dark chocolaty eyes, and short bunched hair in bands. She held my gaze for a few, all too brief, moments and then modestly looked away whilst all the while maintaining her hold.
Before long the whole bus had noticed what was happening but far from appearing shocked or concerned seemed to be happy with my obvious discomfort and responded to my questioning looks with understanding nods and smiles, as if it was the most natural thing in the world. Even the much older woman who accompanied the young lady smiled broadly before continuing as if this sort of thing was an everyday occurrence. So unsure with what I should do I settled down for the rest of the journey hand in hand with a most beautiful girl, unable and unsure of what to say, and constrained as I was, by an unfamiliar language and that familiar feeling of slight self-consciousness that comes with sitting next to and holding hands with a pretty girl.
Eventually a few stops from mine the tro slowed and came to a halt. The girl’s companion got up to get off, as did the girl. But as she rose she tugged at my hand as if to go with her. I hesitated not sure what to do. She, sensing my indecision, looked back and once again caught my eye, this time with a look of anxiety on her face as if imploring me to go with her. Now was my chance to say something... do something... just anything... I could stay in the dark, closeted, safe and familiar surrounds of the bus or follow, stepping out of the shadows and into the bright, dazzling light, with this vision. As my mind raced trying to think of what to say, what to do, her grip, almost imperceptibly, tightened around mine and as if enchantment, I stepped out into the sun.
Finally, stood there face to face with this beautiful young woman, it was clear what I had to do. I quickly glanced at the older woman and receiving an affirming glance lifted the girl into my arms... where she hugged me. The whole time not a word had been spoken between any of us and now I found myself walking or rather carrying my beautiful young princess down the road... to her school and the reception class awaiting her.
Really everybody, what were you expecting ? Once she saw her class mates, she was no longer interested in holding on to me and ran off to her friends without so much as a glance back at the man whose finger, rather than hand, she had just held for the last half hour. I thanked mum for letting me carry her daughter the 50 metres or so to the school gate, took the picture you see above (if you hadn't already guessed) and finally arrived at work, late, but with a big smile on my face, some time later.

No comments:

Post a Comment